I’ve been really lucky in getting Sock Madness socks to fit my crazy feet – all 6 of the ones I made for SM10 were good to go, and so far so good this year…until I got to Lambs and Bunnies and Chickens, Oh My! by Ros Clarke. And fit was just one of the problems I ran into knitting these cuties!
The pattern arrived at an inconvenient time for me, but I boldly cast on, and knitted in every free moment I had that day, and made surprising progress. Lo and behold, by the end of the next afternoon, I had a sock. That I couldn’t get over my heel. It seems I had made my corrugated ribbing a little on the tight side. Some pals in my knitting group offered me some sage advice, and I had time to try on the second cuff, and it was an obvious improvement!
But, in casting that second one on, I realized a devasting error in the first one. I’d missed multiple rows in the twisted cast on. Okay. Deep breaths. I can remove and re-do that. So I did (so much kitchener). BUT, later on, I was looking at it some more, and I was still missing a row in that new cast-on! So I got to learn the special skill of ungrafting, and re-did it again (so much more kitchener). It still doesn’t fit, but at least it’s “right”.
I haven’t totally decided what to do with these yet. In the long run, I had an acceptable pair of socks and I’ve learned some new tricks that I hopefully won’t have to use in the next round!!